High protein low sugar diet is recommended for diabetics. Its major advantage is that it limits a person from getting too much carbohydrates, thereby controlling blood sugar and insulin levels of the body. Consequently, this diet helps in weight loss and reduction of triglyceride levels in the blood. When triglycerides are low, it is next to having low cholesterol, therefore you have lower risk of heart disease.
While it is easy for diabetic non-vegans to follow this diet, vegetarians may have difficulty in sustaining it. This is because a bulk of their food consumption may come from rice, root crops, bread, and fruits which contain a lot of carbohydrates. Here are some tips for vegetarians in order to follow this diet plan.how to get rid of bad luck
Whole Grains vs. Refined Grains
Grains like rice, rye, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, wheat bran, durum wheat, oat bran, and semolina are naturally high in protein. This food group must always be present in a vegan diet, but choose whole grains instead of refined ones. This is because proteins are removed in the process of refinement, leaving you with carbohydrates alone. Just be careful in buying prepared breakfast cereals, as these may contain candy bars.
In addition, a chemical called alloxan is added to flour during its refinement process. This chemical destroys the beta cells of the pancreas, which eventually lead to type 2 diabetes. For this reason, opt for whole wheat flour instead of the white one.
High Protein Low Sugar Diet from Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds are packed not only with high protein but vitamins, fiber, and essential amino acids as well. It is recommended for diabetics, since it has very low carbohydrate content. Therefore, munching on almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, pistachios, sesame seeds, and cashews can be helpful.
Legumes and Other Veggies Rich in Protein
Beans, peas, and lentils belong to leguminous plants. These are rich in iron, potassium, folate, magnesium and protein. A popular example of a product made from soy beans are tofu and soya milk. Both contain all the essential amino acids needed by the body. They are also low in cholesterol and sugar, hence perfect for diabetics.
Other plants that can provide you with protein are parsley, tomatoes, seaweeds, leeks, peppers, and shallots. Combine these with plants mentioned previously for a high protein low sugar meal.
Seafood and Fish for Pesco-vegetarians
Pesco-vegetarians are semi-vegans because they still consume seafoods, fishes, eggs and dairy products. Therefore, they have lesser problems in following the aforementioned diet plan compared with strict vegetarians. They can get complete protein from fishes like salmon, tuna, and other seafoods. They should be warned though, that these foods may contain mercury. Therefore these must be eaten sparingly.
Eggs For Ovo-vegetarians, Cheese and Dairy products for Lacto-vegetarians
Eggs from chicken, turkey, and quails are rich in complete protein. However, those who suffer from high cholesterol and hypertension must eat them carefully. Egg yolks can be removed, since these contain the fat component, then egg whites that are protein-rich can be included in recipes.
Furthermore, milk and milk products contain essential amino acids. Lacto-vegetarians need not worry in eating a high protein diet. Adding cheese in vegetable salads, pastas and soups can contribute to their protein consumption. For those who want less fat in dairy products, you can choose skimmed milk instead of the regular ones. Low-fat creams and yogurts are also available in the market.
Watch Out For Fruits High in Sugar
Fruits are packed with a lot of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. However, vegetarians must be careful if they are following a low sugar diet. Some fruits are high in sugar, although fructose (the simple sugar in fruits) does not boost blood sugar levels the way table sugar does. The safest way, therefore, is to know which fruits have the highest sugar content, and then avoid eating them.
Dried fruits have higher sugar content than the raw ones. In addition, plums, oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, mangoes, bananas, kiwi fruits, pineapples and pears are some of those with high sugar.
Other Foods to Avoid
Soda and other carbonated beverages should absolutely be eliminated from your diet. A can of soda contains up to 15 teaspoons of sucrose or table sugar, therefore drinking it can shoot up your blood sugar levels instantly.
Moreover, consuming French fries, doughnuts, chocolate bars and candy bars should also limited. These provide you with almost no nutritional value at all. Of course, hypoglycemics can take a candy or chocolate bar only if they have very low sugar in the blood. However in your normal diet, eat these foods sparingly.
Finally, Energy and meal replacement bars and protein shakes should not be on your diet. These give you high protein, but they have too much sugar content.
Following these tips is quite easy if you are determined to have a high protein low sugar diet.
File Under: High Protein Low Sugar Diet
Protein diet is gaining a lot of popularity these days because studies and researches have proved that protein rich diet helps in weight loss, building muscles, staying healthy and fit.
How does protein diet help in weight loss
A diet rich in protein, low in carbohydrates and fat is recommended by many fitness experts to lose weight because of the following reasons.
- Protein rich foods are stomach fillers. You will not feel hungry for a long duration of time.
- The craving of food is reduced when you have a protein diet because the supply of appetite stimulating hormones to the brain is reduced. This suppresses hunger as well as the urge to eat more and eat frequently.
- Protein burns fat faster. It increases the rate of metabolism. Protein is the best source of energy and the energy gained improves the digestion and breaks fat molecules.
- Proteins are lower in kilojoules when compared to carbohydrates.
How does protein diet help in staying healthy
- Eating vegetable protein keeps your heart healthy. The risk of heart diseases is reduced.
- Protein is essential for tissue repair. If you suffer from an injury, protein accelerates the healing process.
- Protein is also essential for thick, long hair and healthy nails.
- Protein improves your general immunity.
- A protein rich diet with low carbohydrates helps in the reduction of risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Protein rich foods like soy beans are helpful in treating many health problems related to menopause.
- Protein diet improves the memory skill and is helpful in avoiding the memory loss due to old age.
How does protein diet help in building muscles
These days muscle building has become a passion and fashion. Your body needs amino acids to build muscles. Proteins are nothing but long chains of amino acids connected by peptide bonds. Amino acids are very essential for muscle repair too. That is why protein is recommended for body builders after a severe work out.
It is generally accepted that proteins are good for health. There are many foods that are rich in protein. Are they all to be included in a protein diet? The answer is NO. There are some foods that are high in saturated fats that have many harmful effects on your health. It is very important that you choose the right protein package if you want to enjoy the benefits of protein and avoid its disadvantages.
- Think of high proteins and you are reminded of beef and red meat. It is true that beef and meat are rich in proteins. Lean cuts of beef that have low fat content are a good source of protein. Red meat contains a lot of saturated fat which is the culprit of many health problems. Fat free beef and meat can be included in the protein diet. Avoid processed meat and beef sold in the market.
- Poultry like chicken and turkey are also rich in proteins. Make sure that the skin is removed when you include poultry in your diet. Poultry has lower saturated fat.
- Fish is the best non vegetarian source of protein. Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that are very good for your health. Fish has very low carbohydrate content. It is better to buy fresh fish. Tinned fish have more sodium content.
- Cheese has high calorie content. It also has a high fat content. Low fat cheese is the best option for cheese lovers.
- Eggs, that have high cholesterol content, should not be taken frequently by people suffering from cardiovascular diseases and people who are at a high risk of heart attacks. It is better to eat boiled eggs rather than fried eggs, scrambled eggs and omelets.
- Low fat dairy like skimmed milk and low fat yogurt are good sources of protein.
- Whole grains like wheat and oats are rich in protein and they have good fiber content as well.
- Other vegetable sources like beans are excellent sources of proteins. They have no fat content, but the vegetable sources are called incomplete proteins because they lack a few essential amino acids.
The disadvantages of too high protein diet
Protein taken in right quantities is good for health. Too much of protein has some harmful effects on health.
- Protein rich food should be avoided by people who have kidney problems or who are at a high risk of kidney diseases. Too much of protein can cause diseases like kidney stones and gout.
- Too much of protein from foods like red meat increases the risk of cancer.
- High protein may result in gas formation, constipation and other intestinal and digestion problems.
- Eating foods rich in protein alone may lead to vitamin deficiency and other deficiencies.
- The risk of dehydration is greater.
How to overcome the disadvantages
It is true that protein diet is good for health, but body needs other nutrients, vitamins, carbohydrates and fat too. A balanced diet that contains proteins and other nutrients is the best option. If you opt to take a protein diet drink plenty of water to avoid getting dehydrated. Consult your doctor and make sure that you don’t eat excessive proteins than that needed by your body. It is better to go for protein rich food than taking protein supplements. Make sure that the protein diet you follow includes foods that have more proteins and less saturated fat.
File Under: Protein Diet
high protein foods
High protein foods that are included to your diet plan have a very beneficial influence and part in improving your health for the better. It will be comforting for all those looking for suggestions for foods that are high in protein to learn that there are quite large assortments of foods available that are high in proteins.
The main food groups where you can find foods that have a high protein content are dairy products, the grains you eat on a daily basis, meats like poultry and fish and even all those beans you know like kidney beans and soya beans.
Not all proteins are healthy
However though there are quite a lot of food products that are high in protein, they are not all good for you. In fact, for best effects from your high protein diet, you should know which proteins are best for both your health and your diet before including them to your diet.
The foods that form part of an ideal protein diet plan are those that contain high amounts of proteins, along with some other advantageous properties in them like lean and good fats and calcium.
So here is a list of some favorable protein foods to include in your diet, in no particular order.
Poultry and fish
A typical chicken breast that weighs 3.5 oz. provides your body with 30 Gms of protein. While choosing your chicken breast, it is always better and healthier to look for one that is 99% fat-free and which comes without any skin or bone. This is the leanest and best type of chicken breast you should include to your diet.
If you are thinking of eating turkey, then you can get about 7 grams of protein for each ounce of turkey that you eat.
A very good source of lean protein is poultry or white meat as the dark meat you find in markets generally has high levels of fat. Moreover, red meat skin is also high in fat, giving all the more reason to avoid including any form of dark meat to your diet.
Tuna is also one of the many high protein foods that have about 40 grams of protein in a 6 ounce can of tuna. Similarly, salmon has about 27 grams of protein in 3.5 ounces of its meat.
This shows that just like white meat poultry, tuna and salmon are also great sources of lean protein. Not only are they are great source of protein, they are also rich in vital amino acids your body needs. The best way to give your body the proteins found in these fish is to eat them sushi style.
Regarding dairy products, eggs, yogurt, milk and cottage cheese are all foods that are high in protein. 1 large egg gives you about 7 grams of protein while 1 cup of 1% or skimmed milk gives your body about 8 grams of protein.
Half a cup of cottage cheese gives you about 15 grams of protein while a cup of yogurt gives your body anywhere between 8 – 12 grams of proteins. So if you are looking for high protein foods that not only satisfy your protein quota for the day, but also give your body it’s required calcium, these dairy products are definitely winners.
If you are always on the go, and need some high protein foods that you can eat on the go, then you have to include almonds, peanuts and cashews to your diet.
A quarter cup of almonds give you 8 grams of proteins while a quarter cup of peanuts give your body about 9 grams of protein. While a quarter cup of cashews give you 5 grams of protein, 2 tablespoons of your favorite peanut butter is also nutritious as it gives your body about 8 grams of protein.
This all proves that these nuts make great snacks to snack on in between meals. Not only do they satisfy your hunger, they provide your body with much required proteins.
Moreover, they can be eaten when you don’t have the time to actually cook a meal and just need something to keep your body burning fat actively. Instead of eating calorie laden snacks, these healthy snacks make you feel satisfied while providing your body with its required quota of proteins.
All these high protein foods are easily available
To top it all, all these high protein foods are easily available. You need not go round looking for them as they are all easily available at your local grocery store.
Once you start including all these foods that are high in their protein quotient to your diet, you start providing your body with the required proteins that helps you grow healthy and lean muscles so that you are bigger and quicker at whatever you do.
Besides including all these protein rich foods that you can include to your diet, if you are looking for other options to enhance your muscles through an increased protein intake, it’s better to take a look at the many protein diet plans available on the internet.
These diets have interesting variations of adding high protein foods to your diet to help you lose weight and build lean muscle.
The Wayback Machine is an initiative of the Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form.
Other projects include Open Library & archive-it.org.